Apple Coffee Cake
2 2/3 cups baking mix -- divided
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup cold butter -- cut up
2/3 cup milk or water PLUS ("PLUS" means this ingredient in addition to the one on the next line, often with divided uses)
1 tablespoon milk or water -- divided
3 tablespoons sugar
2 medium tart apples -- peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped nuts
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- In a bowl, combine 2/3 cup baking mix, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine remaining baking mix, 2/3 cup milk or water, sugar and egg; beat vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Spread half of batter into a greased 9 inch square baking pan. Arrange apple slices on top of batter; sprinkle with half of crumb mixture. Spread remaining batter over apple layer. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture and nuts.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon milk or water; stir until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake.
Zetrocity Digital Solutions