Apple Blue Cheese Salad
3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
8 cups baby lettuce blend (Riviera or Spring Mix, etc.)
4 diced Granny Smith apples, cored but unpeeled
4 ounces blue cheese or feta, crumbled
1 cup pecans, toasted
1/2 cup dried cranberries (Craisins), optional
- Prepare vinaigrette by blending all ingredients thoroughly. Place in glass jar and shake until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Just before serving, layer in large platter: lettuce, apples, blue cheese, toasted pecans and cranberries.
- Shake vinaigrette to blend ingredients, then drizzle desired amount over salad. Use remainder for another salad.
Note: When cut, the apple flesh discolors quickly, so dip or coat them in lemon juice mixed with a little water and refrigerate in a sealed container.
Escarole, Fuji Apple, Roquefort & Toasted Walnut Salad
1 medium head escarole
1 Fuji apple, cored, quartered, and sliced thinly
1 tablespoon walnut oil
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
1/2 cup walnut pieces
4 ounces Roquefort
- Wash the escarole and drain well. Tear it into bite-size pieces and put into a salad bowl.
- Add the apple slices to the greens. Drizzle with walnut oil and toss.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sugar and toss. Add sherry vinegar and toss one more time. Correct the seasonings and acidity, if needed.
- On a baking sheet, toast the walnuts for 10 to 12 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- Sprinkle the walnuts and Roquefort over the salad and serve.
Chicken, Apple And Smoked Gouda Salad
3 Boned and skinned chicken breast halves
8 cups Spinach leaves; torn
2 Red bell peppers; chopped
1/2 cup Red onion; sliced into rings
1/2 pound Granny Smith apples; thinly sliced
1/2 cup Nonfat honey mustard salad dressing
1/2 cup Gouda cheese; smoked, grated
- Preheat broiler. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into chunks.
- Combine chicken, spinach, bell pepper, onion, and apple in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad, and toss well. Sprinkle with cheese.
Inn at Cedar Crossing Spinach Apple Bleus Salad
1 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (see note)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup apple cider
3/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup walnut oil
1 pound fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
1/4 pound crumbled bleu cheese
2 cups toasted walnuts (see note)
3 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- Prepare vinaigrette first: In large bowl, mix chopped walnuts with cider vinegar, apple cider, honey and mustard. In separate bowl, mix oils. While mixing, slowly drizzle oil into walnut mixture to emulsify. Before serving, warm over a very low heat, making sure not to boil. (Makes 1 quart.)
- To prepare salad, place spinach leaves in serving bowl and top with cheese and the toasted walnuts. Place apples around outside, drizzle with warm walnut vinaigrette and serve.
Note: To toast, sprinkle nuts in ungreased heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until nuts begin to brown, then stirring constantly until golden brown. Or, toast in microwave: Spread 1 cup nuts on paper plate. Cook on high 2 1/2 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring every 2 minutes.
Apple Red Cabbage Salad
1 med. head red cabbage shredded
2 red delicious apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 med. onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup sour cream
- Toss cabbage, apples and onions. Combine oil, vinegar, spices and sour cream. Pour over salad; toss to coat well.
Page 3 of 5«StartPrev12345NextEnd»
Zetrocity Digital Solutions